Thursday, July 4, 2013

Kgebetli Moele's new book is going to be crazy/beautiful

I find Kgebetli Moele quite an odd bird. I met him on the train platform at Paris Montparnasse Train Station while we filed up to board the Etonnants Voyageurs train to Saint Malo and for the next few days, was constantly amused by his particular brand of no bullshit-ness. While I think more people would describe me as forthright, Kgebetli is on another level of tell it like it is. Kgebetli is like 'I'm gonna get up in your face about your opinions and then we're gonna drink some more wine and then I'm gonna do a crazy dance and you're gona like it.' He judged me to no end for reading the Great Gatsby between panels, so much was the judgement in his eyes that I had to switch to reading Waiting for Barbarians just to get out of talking about why I thought GG was even worth the time. Turns out though, he was totally right in his analysis of the story and his view that I would be better served reading JMC. So, obvs I'm very excited to hear that he has a new book on the way and I totally encourage everyone to go out an buy it for what I have no doubt will be a unique and challenging read.

Here's the deal:

Mokgethi is not your average teenage girl. Mokgethi dreams of going to Oxford to study Actuarial Science. But her grandmother and aunt have other ideas, and with no one to fight her corner, except for her younger brother Khutso, Mokgethi is forced to realise that her dreams may well turn out to be just that. Dreams.

Kgebetli Moele returns with perhaps his most controversial novel to date – a novel written from the perspective of a seventeen year old girl. Untitled explores the challenges that face young women trying to escape the poverty into which they have been born – Mokgethi’s life is all about overcoming poor education, escaping sexual predators (young and old) and dealing with the lack of positive role models in her township.
In this explosive novel, Moele deals head-on with sexual abuse, rape and poverty in a way that very few South African authors can.

That sounds crazy/beautiful, no? Go order it.

In Cape Town? I hear he's going to be at Open Book.

1 comment:

  1. I met his voice between the covers of Room 207. I instantly liked his raw - like me/don't - tone and I stayed up the whole night turning pages. I'm reading GG as we speak :-) It's cute to imagine his disapproving eyes starring me down too. I was thrilled to read about Untitled from Bookslive. I look forward to another Moele experience

    ReplyDelete